Monday, February 23, 2009

Songs and Sports

When you go to the gym, or are about to play in a big game, isn't it good to listen to music that gets you pumped up and willing to work out harder? Certain songs are good for getting your blood pumping and heart working so that you will have the willpower to keep going. This weekend my brother had a hockey tournament. A guy behind the box would play music when someone would score, during a time out, and when the teams came out to warm up. On my brother's second game, the opposing team came out to "Click Click Boom" by Saliva. That song is just one of those songs that when you hear it, you do whatever you're doing at that moment better. When it was my brother's turn to come out, the guy played "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt. Really? Seriously? The team came out looking so confused at why he would play that song when they are supposed to be warming up and getting their adrenaline going. Although they did have fun lip singing it to each other and acting dumb, they ended up losing. They all blamed it on the music that gave them a bad vibe. Does music affect the way you work out?

2 comments:

  1. I think music can affect the way you work out. In psych we learned that something you hear can trigger your brain to perform in a certain way. So if you always listen to fast rock when you are working out, hearing rock while you aren't working out would probably cause you to want to. This is because you associate it with working out.
    Your brother's team could have easily gotten embarassed by the song choice when they heard the other teams "energetic" song being played. This could have made them not as excited about the game which could have made them loose. Next time I would suggest and upbeat fun song to get the players excited about the game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand how this could be. I'd expect a James Blunt song to trigger outbursts of rage and violence, premiums in the sport of hockey. Thats what it does to me anyways.

    I like using music for working out that actually calm me down. Loud or heavy music don't work when I'm working out in a gym (If I'm at home, I'd go as far as putting Pantera to work out :P). I much rather listen to eerie mysterious music, or hyper active ones. In fact I'd say DJ Shadow is the artist i listen to most when I'm Working out.

    And not to be a self promoting whore (although I will be anyways), I actually made a post about him on JOSES blog, not mine. Ya. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete